Floating Homes Tour Returns Sept. 14
After a one-year hiatus, Sausalito’s colorful floating homes community will once again present an open homes tour on Saturday, September 14, 2019.
Between 11 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., at least a dozen homes will be open, ranging in styles from funky to palatial, including two new homes on Liberty Dock. Most will be docented by the homeowners, who will be happy to answer questions about their unique waterfront lifestyle.
This year, the tour will be centered in the new, award-winning park in Waldo Point Harbor. Prepaid registration is highly recommended. Advance tickets are $50 per person and can be ordered on Eventbrite. Further instructions will be emailed to you after you complete your order. On the day of the tour, tickets will be $55 apiece.
Over 200 volunteers are needed on tour day. Volunteers work a half-day shift and may take the tour for free; prior experience is not necessary. Volunteer job descriptions and shift times appear on Signup. The sooner you log on, the better your chance of getting the assignment and shift you prefer.
The tour is the primary funding vehicle for the Floating Homes Association and benefits other local nonprofits as well.
Photos of previous tours can be viewed on Facebook.
The Floating Homes Tour is sponsored by the Floating Homes Association, a non-profit volunteer organization representing the owners and residents of floating homes within five Sausalito marinas. Additional information may be requested by leaving a voice message with the Floating Homes Association: (415) 332-1916.
- Homes are open at 11:00am and close at 4:00pm. Open docks and open homes are indicated with colorful flags.
- You will receive a colored wristband when you check in at the registration desk. This is your ticket to enter any of the open homes, so keep it safe.
- For your convenience, PARKING will be provided offsite. Free shuttle buses will transport you to a central staging area, where all the open homes will be in easy walking distance. There is no tour parking in the Floating Homes Community. Parking instructions will be emailed to each advanced registrant.
- There is no smoking allowed on any of the docks.
- Please do not bring food or drinks into houseboats.
- Dogs are not allowed on the tour.
- Use caution when walking along the docks and especially when moving on and off each home.
- We recommend wearing comfortable, slip-on shoes. High heeled shoes are not advisable. The tour does involve a bit of walking!
- We do not encourage the participation of children, but if you bring children along, remember they are your responsibility. Keep a close eye on them at all times.
- Port-a-potties are provided for your convenience. Their locations are shown on a map in the self-guided tour booklet you will receive when you arrive. Please don’t ask docents or homeowners to use their facilities.
- We want you to have a safe and enjoyable day. If you have any questions, problems or need any type of assistance, simply ask any one of the 200 volunteers on the tour.